The final countdown has begun in the final days of our listening program. The final message has been given. You can listen to all six messages in the LISTEN series here. Here are our family thoughts on Peter’s letters.
David: Why is Satan like a lion? (Which then led to several other good questions.)
Micah: God doesn’t sleep
Nathan: What does it mean that 1000 years is like one day to God? (Which led to another great discussion.)
Saralynn: Busybodies are classified the same as murderers and thieves
- “On that day you will be glad, even if you have to go through many hard trials for a while.” Why don’t we remember this more often? Especially when our “trials” wouldn’t even bring a wince to a lot of God’s people through the ages.
- I love the whole thing about angels not understanding salvation. I makes me feel a little extra special
- Peter used things they already understood and believed in order to point them to Christ
- With the upcoming election, this is especially appropriate. “The Lord wants you to obey all human authorities.” This is the same guy who one time said, “We don’t obey people. We obey God.” The difference? We obey the government as long as it does not contradict God’s explicit commands (not just our interpretation of them).
- This verse is taken out of context so often. “By his cuts and bruises you are healed” has nothing to do with my sinus headache or your sickness. It’s talking about sin and spiritual healing. Jesus did not died and shed his blood to get rid of my cold. You won’t find anywhere in Scripture telling us to “plead the blood of Jesus” over anything.
- Do you want to be happy?
- Peter is taken out of context and misunderstood a lot (and he said that Paul was). I’ll be writing a series of posts on the statement “baptism now saves you“, because it is such an important topic and so widely misunderstood.
- Growing your faith is an intentional act; it won’t happen by itself.
- People don’t have to believe what you tell them about Jesus, but no one can discount your personal experience with God
- Angels don’t dare to accuse evil people before God? Why? I have an answer, but I want to study it more.
- There is a lot of info about the beginning and end of things in these short verses.